Saturday, January 31, 2009

Renaissance Man

I like the term "Renaissance Man" because it is indicative of someone who has knowledge or expertise in a number of areas. The Renaissance (14th to 17th century) was a time of enlightenment and learning. A gentleman of that period would seek to learn as much as possible about a variety of subjects, including languages, science, poetry, music, etc. Leonardo Da Vinci was the original. He was proficient in a wide array of subjects as profoundly as an expert would be in a single subject. That's the spirit of how I apply the term. Not to academics only, but to learning in general--whatever the subject--so long as its more than a fleeting interest. It's more a quest to obtain as much knowledge and proficiency as possible.

I won't be talking about a lot of poetry or science here. I'm not talking about trying to be like Da Vinci or trying to make world changing things happen. My target areas are fitness, nutrition, and fashion, with some other subjects here and there. My point is to apply the spirit of the renaissance man to these topics (and hopefully to encourage learning about good stuff in general), which I believe to be important to the modern guy who wants to live better. Learn as much as you can about any and all subjects you think will make you a better guy.