Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Skinny Ties?

GOB: "...these are $2,000 pants. Come on!" Here Will Arnette has his suit and his tie matched properly.

I've been asked a few times recently about skinny ties. You've probably seen them a lot on TV, in magazines, and in movies. The narrow tie isn't new, dudes were rocking them decades ago. You can probably tell from some of my posts that I'm partial to a narrower tie. I have a hard time getting behind any extremes, and ties are no exception. Some are way to narrow for my taste. But I favor narrower ties because I favor the slimmer suit, which have clean, tapered lines, and lapels that are a bit more narrow than the average. I've seen ties in stores lately that can't be much more than an inch and a half wide. No thanks. I got out the measuring tape and measured the lapels on my suits and some of my ties. Most of my lapels are around 3.5 inches. Not surprisingly, my ties are close to the same. I have a new sport coat with narrower lapels, they're not quite 3 inches at the widest point. I have a few narrower ties that are a little under 3 inches that look much better with this sport coat than my wider ties. A half inch doesn't sound like much, but it's a difference. So the rule is, narrower lapels=narrower tie. If you have big lapels, you musn't wear a narrow tie, and vice versa. So there you have it. If you like the look of the narrower tie, just make sure you're not pairing it with a suit with wide lapels.